Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pretty awesome cookies and a bit of Betty Crockerism

I know - it's me, ranting yet again about baking. But wait! They were so pretty, I had to share a photo, and they're so tasty, I wanted to share the recipe.



These are Chocolaty Caramel Thumbprints, from Better Homes and Gardens, and they are delish! Yes, a wee bit time-consuming. You have to bring the dough together and then chill it for two hours. This is not a "Oh, look - it's 8:30 in the evening. I think I'll make some cookies" recipe. And then you have to roll said dough into little balls, dip them in egg-white wash, roll them around in finely chopped pecans and then smush with your thumb. That's not counting the melting of caramels and chocolate.


BUT. They're so pretty, and so yummy! I think they're great for a potluck sort of thing, or to impress someone (boss, boyfriend, in-laws, holier-than-thou neighbors).


My hubby loved them. Which reminds me of something funny. We were sitting on the back porch yesterday after work; he's eating a chocolaty caramel thumbprint and we're talking about (for the billionth time) how badly I need new shoes and how we're not paupers so why don't I just go buy some for chrissakes? And I offer up my usual "I hate shopping."


To which my husband adds, "You just hate spending money." (Which is only partly true. For real - look at my Publix or Target receipts. Good beer isn't cheap, either.)


He pauses, and then says, half a cookie in hand, "My God, I'm married to a woman who doesn't like to shop or spend money, and actually thinks baking and cooking is fun. I am the luckiest husband alive. You're perfect."


Now, before you get your feminist thongs in a wad, I promise you that he also loves my wit, appreciates my intelligence, and bows to my mighty credit score. Just because it's a bit of stereotyping and old-fashioned doesn't mean it didn't make me smile. Who doesn't want their husband to think they're the most amazing woman on the planet?


Anyway, I was flattered. And it's hard to complain about old-fashioned stereotypes while wearing a "dressy apron."

1 comment:

Hips Unhinged Ltd said...

That's incredibly cute - almost as cute as the fact that you're clearly still enjoying the novelty of being able to refer to 'my husband'!

And you're absolutely right that even the most intelligent, independent, strong-willed woman appreciates a bit of old-fashioned flattery from time to time. My boyfriend often ends up battling between his feminist ideals and his stomach when I cook or bake for us (or, indeed, our friends since most of them are male) - I have to explain that I am fully confident in my qualities of character and it's not degrading to my equality as a woman to derive pleasure from cooking a damn good meal for him. I don't feel undermined when a gathering of friends is planned and someone enquires as casually as possible whether I might by any chance have the urge to make brownies.

By the way, 'smush' is a brilliant word and ought to be used more.