Monday, February 23, 2009

Here Comes the Sun . . .

Spring has arrived! Yes, I know it's probably a bit rude to rub this fact into the faces of anyone from up north - say, the 140,000 without power in Maine thanks to the snow storm, but I'm so excited and it's so pretty!


The azaleas are really starting to crank the blooms out now. This is our largest azalea, out back besides the porch:


Azalea bushAzalea blossoms
(Speaking of azaleas, I think the Florida Azalea Festival in Palatka is still going on March 7-8, even though I couldn't find a single mention of it on the Palatka Daily News web site. There is a web site for the festival, but unless you want to register for the parade or the Azalea Queen beauty pageant, there's not much there to look at.)


Right next to the azalea is a shrub that has little tiny buds that are starting to pop:


Budding
When it's fully leafed, it provides a great deal of privacy for our master bathroom - right now, anyone who really wanted to can see in.

One of the other trees in the back yard is also budding with leaves:


There's a few survivors in the vegetable garden planted by the home's previous owners, and most of them are doing pretty well. There's some sort of cabbage plant, rosemary and parsley:



The pineapple isn't doing so well:




I'm really hoping my plumbago comes back. It looks bad - Kyle thinks it's a goner.




1 comment:

Kelly Warren said...

Ah, I'm so glad I'm a Florida native...