Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Big Sugar's moving on out - of the Everglades

U.S. Sugar is selling pretty much all of their land, which is in and around the Florida Everglades, to the state for $1.75 billion. Like a lot of other people, I'm a little confused. I have four questions:

1. Why? People in the Florida sugar industry are saying this spells the end for U.S. Sugar - the nation's largest sugar producer.

2. Where did the money come from? From what I've seen, Florida isn't exactly flush with cash.

3. How does this affect the sugar industry? Or the struggling citrus industry? Turns out U.S. Sugar is also the third-largest citrus producer in Florida. (Do you find that weird? I did.)

4. How will this affect the little South Florida towns that exist only due to U.S. Sugar?

Time will offer more answers - Gov. Crist is just making an announcement on this deal today.

Article in St. Pete Times

I mean, this great - land that's being used for agriculture will be returned to its natural state and that can't be anything but good for the Everglades, right?

I guess that makes five questions.

No comments: